Thursday, August 27, 2009

Family Log Cabin Quilt

Trying to keep up with ten nieces and nephews is difficult. A few have quilts I've made-the others will just have to wait. One Log Cabin quilt finally got to my niece Becca last Thanksgiving when her folks came to the beach for the holidays. I discovered these pictures on my computer and thought it was time to show Becca and Rob's wedding quilt. The photo shows them when they announced their engagement.

All I had asked was "What are your favorite colors?" and Becca replied, "Pink and maybe pink with brown." I'm sure her fiancee Rob thought, "Oh no, pink!" but I hope that the beiges and browns have kept the composition from being too girly.

I've always liked this forthright take on the classic Log Cabin pattern. It only uses sixteen large blocks, sashing, and a border. It started with a shell print since Becca and Rob got married at the beach. Add various pinks and beiges from my stash and then frame with a formal brown and rose border stripe that I'd designed for the line Rosemarie by Telegraph Road Studio. (Sorry, that fabric's long out of print!)


After the quilt top was sewn together, I chose a pale pink backing and turned it over to my friend Vickie Garner who's a professional machine quilter. My only advice was, "Please choose a quilting pattern that's kind of 'beachy'-" and Vickie knew just the one: swirling waves and shells. Perfect.


Becca sent a nice thank-you note and ended with, "I especially love the back!" That's the part of the quilt that I had very little to do with but the point is she likes it.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love every bit of it. I redecorated my bedroom to help it stand out.

Vicki Lane said...

Love the pink and brown -- a old-timey loon, isn't it?

Vicki Lane said...

No, I'm the old-timey loon -- I meant old-timey LOOK. (That's what I get for not turning the light on to type.)

Robin said...

Welcome back! Seeing the quilt in a small photo made me think how cute it would be in miniature...chop chop :)
Sorry, the brown framed it just right and that is where my brain went.

Jean Baardsen said...

It's beautiful! How could they not love it? The shell fabric is great, and the colors are very comforting.

cadh 8 said...

This is so beautiful!! I just gave my brother a wedding quilt using this same pattern, except with out the sashing. But on two of the corners I changed up the colors, so it gives his quilt a totally different look. But I love the log cabin block...I am just starting to experiment with it.
If you would like to check out the one I did (very ametuer compared to yours!) it is at www.sapphirequilt.blogspot.com

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a beautiful quilt. Remember, you chose the quilter, and directed her properly.

sarah said...

I am not a quilter so it looks like jewels from the sea and Peppers fingers.